You have no items in your shopping basket.
Brazilian Breakfast cake
Breakfast Brazilian-style involves fruit, cheese breads, tapioca, crêpes and lots of cake. Whereas we might enjoy a slice of sponge cake with an afternoon cup of tea, in Brazil they kick-start their day with sugary treats and a sweet, strong coffee.
Le Creuset 3-ply Stainless Steel 24cm Shallow Casserole
- 250ml whole milk
- 397g tin sweetened condensed milk
- 30g unsalted butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 150g caster sugar
- 250g plain flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut (optional)
- 50g grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Icing sugar for decoration
- Pre-heat oven to 180ºC / 160°C Fan / Gas Mark 4.
- In a food processor or blender mix all the wet ingredients together (milk, condensed milk, butter and eggs).
- Then add all the dry ingredients (sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, coconut and cheese) and blend for 30 seconds.
- Transfer to a greased shallow casserole, or a baking dish, and bake for 50 to 55 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool, carefully remove from the casserole or baking dish, then decorate it with sieved icing sugar.
- Do not open the oven when cooking as the mixture is like a batter and needs constant heat.
- Do not worry if the cake cracks a little towards the end of baking.
- Serve for breakfast alongside a bitter coffee, it really does work!
- The coconut and Parmesan cheese are optional but add a little South American sweet and savoury seasoning to the dish.