You have no items in your shopping basket.
Turkey, Ham and Vegetable Gratin
This tasty lunch or supper dish uses Christmas-day leftovers. Simply combine cooked turkey, ham and assorted cooked vegetables into a freshly made creamy onion sauce, top with a cheesy herby crumb and bake in the oven.
- 165g butter
- 6 medium onions, chopped
- 120g plain flour
- 1,5 litres vegetable or chicken stock
- 600ml double cream
- 3 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1½ tsp ground nutmeg
- Salt to season
- 1 to 1,2kg cooked turkey meat, roughly chopped
- 900g cooked ham, roughly chopped
- 500g cooked Brussels sprouts, cut in half
- 1 to 1,2kg mixed cooked vegetables such as carrots, leeks, green beans, peas, asparagus or broccoli, in any combination
- 9 to 12 small cooked sage-and-onion stuffing balls, broken into half
- 15 to 18 cooked cocktail sausages, cut in half
- 9 to 12 pieces of roasted parsnip, cut into smaller pieces
- 3 handfuls of cooked chestnuts, roughly chopped
- 6 tbsp semi-dried cranberries
- 230g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 6 tbsp mixed fresh herbs (thyme, sage, parsley), chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 140g strong Cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- To make the sauce, melt the butter in a 33cm cast-iron Signature Roaster over low to medium heat on the hob; add the onions and gentle sauté for 4 to 5 minutes until softened and lightly caramelised, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the flour and continue to cook for 1 minute. Remove the roaster from the heat and, using a silicone whisk, stir in the stock a little at a time, followed by the cream, until smoothly incorporated.
- Return the roaster to the heat, bring to a simmer and cook while stirring until thickened. Add the pepper, nutmeg and season to taste with salt.
- Stir the leftovers and any optional ingredients into the sauce and heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- To make the topping, combine the breadcrumbs, herbs, lemon zest and cheese, and sprinkle over the top of the sauce. Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden and bubbling.
- Serve with crusty bread.
- If the cooked vegetables are a little large cut in half before adding.
- Chicken can be used instead of turkey.