You have no items in your shopping basket.
Sauce Soubise with Chives
A classic French onion and cream sauce with a new twist through the addition of fresh chives. Traditionally served with lamb this delicious sauce works equally well with steak, poultry and vegetables.
- 25g butter
- 2 white onions (375g total weight), chopped
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 200ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 200ml double cream
- ½ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Small handful fresh chives, chopped
- Salt to season
- Melt the butter in the sauce pan, add the onions and fry gently for 6-8 minutes until softened and lightly caramelised but not over-browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add the flour and continue to cook for 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the stock a little at a time, followed by the cream.
- Return the pan to the heat, bring to a simmer and cook whilst stirring until thickened.
- Add the pepper, nutmeg, chopped chives and season to taste with salt. The sauce will thicken a little as it cools.
- If the onions begin to catch and over-brown add a spoonful of the stock.
- If using a ready-made stock from a concentrate always taste the sauce before adding extra salt.
- When serving with meat such as steak, a little of the juice from the rested meat can be stirred through the finished sauce for added flavour.