You have no items in your shopping basket.
Mussels in a creamy sauce
- 1 kg (3lb5oz) Fresh mussels in shells
- 1tablepoon butter
- 2 small onions - finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves - finely chopped
- 8 sprigs of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 100ml (3 floz) dry white wine
- 400ml (14floz) single cream
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Crusty bread to serve
- Scrub the mussels under cold running water, remove the beards and any barnacles. Discard any damaged mussels or those that will not close when lightly tapped.
- Heat the butter in the casserole over a low to medium heat, add the onion with the garlic and cook until softened. Add the thyme, bay leaf and wine and increase the heat to bring the contents to a simmer. Add the mussels, cover with the lid and steam for 6 to 10 minutes until the mussels have opened.
- Remove and discard the thyme sprigs, bay leaf and any unopened mussels.
- Stir in the cream with the chopped parsley, heat through and season to taste.
- Remove from the heat, spoon into four large warmed bowls and serve with lots of crusty bread.