You have no items in your shopping basket.
A moist sponge cake made with olive oil in place of traditional butter and flavoured with fresh citrus fruits. The cake is finished with a zesty sugar crust and served with elderflower flavoured whipped cream for that quintessentially British summer taste.
Preparation time: 25 - 30 minutes
Cooking time: 45 - 50 minutes in the oven + 8 - 10 minutes for the syrup
Cooked in our 26cm Rectangular Dish.
- 200g (7oz) caster sugar
- 2 small lemons
- 1 orange
- 3 medium eggs
- 175ml (6floz) mild olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 225g (8oz) self-raising flour
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange
- 85g (3oz) caster sugar
- 300ml (10½floz) double cream
- 2 tablespoons concentrated elderflower cordial
To cook the cake
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/ Fan 150°C/ 325°F/ Gas Mark 3.
- Line the base of the dish with a strip of baking paper.
- Finely zest the 2 lemons and 1 orange into a large bowl stir in the sugar and rub together.
- Whisk in the eggs, olive oil, vanilla extract and salt. Sift in the flour and combine the ingredients. Squeeze the juice from only the lemons and beat 4 -5 tablespoons of the juice into the cake batter. Pour the batter into the prepared dish.
- Bake in the centre of the preheated oven for 45 - 50 minutes or until the centre springs back when lightly pressed. If the cake begins to overbrown towards the end of cooking cover loosely with some baking paper.
- Remove the peel from the orange using a vegetable peeler taking care not to include the white pith. Slice the peel into very fine matchsticks and place them into a small pan. Squeeze the juice from the lemon and the orange into a measuring jug. Add enough water to top the juice up to 150ml (¼ pint) and pour into the pan. Place on a well fitting lid and cook over a low heat for 8 - 10 minutes to soften the peel. Allow the mixture to cool completely then stir in the caster sugar.
- Pierce the top of the warm cake using a fork in 10-15 places, pour over the citrus syrup and leave the cake to cool. The juice will soak into the cake leaving the peel and a sugar crust on top.
- To make the elderflower cream; whip the double cream until it reaches soft peaks then beat in the elderflower cordial. Cut the cake into slices or squares and serve with a spoonful of the cream.
- Oranges can vary greatly in size choose a medium size around 250-280g (9-10oz) each.