You have no items in your shopping basket.
Chocolate Celebration Cake with Chocolate Curls
A luxurious cake packed full of delicious chocolate flavours perfect for a celebration. Top with sophisticated chocolate curls for a grown-up party, or with a decoration of your choice to suit any occasion.
Preparation time: 30-40 minutes plus cooling time
Cooking time: 30-40 minutes plus 25-28 minutes extra if cakes cooked separately
- 175g butter, softened
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee dissolved in 2 teaspoons of water
- 115g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 55g cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons milk or single cream
- 300g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
- 300ml double cream
- 150g icing sugar
- 200g (7oz) dark chocolate
- Pre-heat the oven 190°C/170°C fan/Gas Mark 5.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time along with the coffee. If the mixture begins to curdle add a couple of tablespoons of the flour.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder and combine well. Beat in the milk or cream.
- Divide the mixture equally between two 20cm sponge/sandwich tins and smooth over the tops, bake on the same shelf for 25-28 minutes until the top springs back when pressed. Cool in the tins for a few minutes before lifting out the cakes, placing onto a cooling rack and removing the bases. If you only have one tin, cook half the mixture and repeat the process.
- To make the icing, melt the chocolate and the cream together in a saucepan over a very low heat. When melted whisk the two ingredients together, sift in the icing sugar and whisk again until smooth and glossy. Once the icing has cooled, cover and place into the refrigerator until it has become thick and spreadable. This will take around 1 hour.
- Place one of the cakes top-side down onto a serving dish. Using a spatula or palette knife spread one third of the icing over the cake. Put the second cake on top, top-side up and spread the remaining icing over the top and sides. Place into the refrigerator to set for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Finish the cake with the decoration of your choice.
- To make the chocolate curls, melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of just simmering water. Spread the melted chocolate on to a flat cool surface such as a marble board or metal tray. When the chocolate is completely set but not hard scrape a knife at a 45 degree angle across the surface to make the curls. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until required.
- Store the cake covered in the refrigerator, consume within 4-5 days.
- Adding coffee intensifies the flavour of the chocolate.
- To speed up the cooking process use two 20cm sponge/sandwich tins.
- For a smooth finish dip a clean palette knife into hot water and run it over the surface of the icing.
- Other decorating options could include 12 chocolates or a selection of candy sweets, edible glitter, ribbon, and candles.