You have no items in your shopping basket.
A delicious yet easy to prepare dessert perfect for family meals or for entertaining as it can be brought directly to the table for serving in the beautiful shallow casserole.
Preparation time: 5 to 10 minutes
- 8 medium-sized dessert apples – see Cook’s notes
- 30g butter
- 60g brown sugar
- 2 good pinches ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch fennel seeds
- 1 pinch caraway seeds
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 pinch sea salt flakes e.g. Maldon
- 1 sheet aluminium foil
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°C / Gas Mark 3.
- Wash and dry the apples and place in the casserole without peeling, stalks facing upwards.
- Cut the butter into small cubes and distribute evenly over the apples.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar, followed by the cinnamon, fennel and caraway seeds.
- Cut the vanilla pod in half lengthways. Open it out and scrape the inside using the blade of a knife to extract the seeds. Distribute the seeds over the apples and place the open pod on top.
- Sprinkle with the sea salt flakes.
- Cover with aluminium foil and cook in the pre-heated oven for approximately 1 hour until the apples are tender. Serve warm.
- Delicious served with Cornish clotted cream or vanilla dairy ice cream.
- For fan-assisted ovens you may need to reduce the oven temperature setting by 10-20°C.
- Any medium-sized dessert apples are suitable; for a sweeter apple choose a variety such as Gala or Golden Delicious or for something a little tarter choose Braeburn or Granny Smith. Use up to 12 small apples, or 8 medium size.